There are some simple ways to reduce stress. Stress can cause all kinds of trouble in your life, both personally and professionally. It can make it hard to concentrate, relax, it can even make you gain weight . Stress can be reduced or even eliminated in some simple ways.
What Is Stress?
Stress is the body’s reaction to harmful situations — whether they’re real or perceived. When you feel threatened, a chemical reaction occurs in your body that allows you to act in a way to prevent injury. This reaction is known as “fight-or-flight,” or the stress response. During stress response, your heart rate increases, breathing quickens, muscles tighten, and blood pressure rises. You’ve gotten ready to act. It is how you protect yourself.
How do I know if I have stress?
Physical symptoms of stress include:
- Low energy
- Upset stomach, including diarrhea, constipation, and nausea
- Aches, pains, and tense muscles
- Chest pain and rapid heartbeat
- Inability to fall asleep
- Frequent colds and infections
- Loss of sexual desire and/or ability
- Nervousness and shaking
Cognitive symptoms of stress include:
- Constant worrying
- Racing thoughts
- Forgetfulness and disorganization
- Inability to focus
- Poor judgment
- Being pessimistic or seeing only the negative side
Behavioral symptoms of stress include:
- Changes in appetite — either not eating or eating too much
- Exhibiting more nervous behavior
- Procrastinating and avoiding responsibilities
- Increased use of alcohol, drugs, or cigarettes
Now that if you’ve figured out if you have kind of stress. What should you do?
Simple ways to reduce stress.
- Exercise: Putting physical stress on your body through exercise can stress.
- Reduce social media: Reduce or completely eliminate your time on social media, instead read a book.
- Light a candle or use essential oils: Different stimuli helps reduce stress and anxiety.
- Reduce caffeine and sugar: High doses can increase anxiety but people have different thresholds for how much they can tolerate. Consider cutting back to reduce stress.
- Write it down or journal: One way to reduce stress is write down what you’re thinking and reflecting on exactly what it is and then write down some positive thoughts or idea to change course.
- Laugh: Try watching a funny show or comedy special. It’s hard to stress when you’re laughing.
- Stop procrastinating: If it takes only 5 minutes, do it now. Try writing down a list and striking the items off, that will not only get things done but it’ll also be satisfying.
- Yoga: It increases self and breath awareness. There has been research that shows that Yoga enhances your mood and is even more effective than drugs at treating stress.
Although stress and anxiety may arise in your workplace, personal life, on social media and in the world there are many simple ways to reduce stress.
It’s about getting your mind away or off the thing that is stressing you.
Exercise, mindfulness, candles, dancing, music and even intimacy can all work to relieve stress.
Contact us if you need help reducing stress inside your work place on our contact form (click here.)